Tuesday 15 May 2012

Welby Church 1: Framed

← Lego Minifigures 43: "Legolas"                                 Lego Minifigures 44: "Arwen" →
(Original Welby Church post)

What do you think of the choice of frame? I quite like it - nice and broad, simple (like the subject), and the yellow wood seems to pick out the sandstone of the church. The frame was, ahem, a sale bargain. The subject was serendipitously on my list of things I wanted to paint, and when I was considering what size and shape to make the painting, I remembered the little canvases that fitted these frames. And the colour of the frames...

Yes, these frames. I bought two of them. There might be a companion piece to this... one day.

Is it wrong to paint something for a specific frame? It seems dreadfully commercial (but this painting is a gift). However, I like to look upon it as a fortunate coming together of subject, proportion, colour and style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!